Friday, November 18, 2011

You’re a Good Man, Mr. Fixit!

As I grow older, I become a little quirkier. I suppose I have always been a little different from most people. I have mentioned my attitude about my shoes and handbags matching. The bread on my sandwiches must “match,” and the filling of the sandwich must reach the edges. My fear of heights is getting worse. I stand backward in the shower; that is, I face away from the spray. I noticed people on tv and in the movies always face the spray. I was/am convinced that my way is best.

Now another quirk has reared it’s head. Sunshine in my face makes me very cranky. In the morning when the sun is low on the horizon and we are driving on a highway with trees close by, the strobe-like effect of the quickly changing light and shadow makes me  even more uncomfortable and crankier. I feel like the scientist in “The Andromeda Strain” who goes into a catatonic state when she sees a flashing light. I don’t get catatonic even though Mr. Fixit probably wishes I would; I get testy. I have a hat in car to shade my eyes, and it helps a little.

The other day I was complaining  about the sun in my  face. He pulled over on the shoulder and let me drive. The sun was on the passenger side. Isn’t he a sweetie for putting up with me and my quirks? I think so.

2 comments:

Golden To Silver Val said...

You've definitely got a keeper. I'm not a fussy person but if a lampshade or picture on the wall is crooked, I can't stop myself from straightening it/them....even if I'm at someone else's house or place of business. It's our little idiosyncrasies that makes us so loveable.....right? lol

Linda@VS said...

Yes, he is a sweetie. Had to laugh about the showering thing. For years I hated taking a shower (instead of a bath) because of the water pouring into my eyes. I always stood like you do, facing away from the spray. Then I noticed all the people on TV facing the spray, tried it that way, and now the water just rolls over my head instead of into my eyes. I do notice that some of the folks on TV turn their faces directly up into the shower spray, which seems totally unnatural to me.