Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Star Light, Star Bright

Last evening (actually this morning) was the great meteor shower of 2012. Since in my 66 years I haven’t seen a meteor shower (the odd “shooting star” once or twice), I decided that I would see this one. Who knows if I will have the opportunity again? According to our news, it was to become visible about 2:30 am stay visible until daybreak. I thought it was a little later, but I guess I misheard the times; I started my vigil at 4:00 am. According to news sources, there were to be 60 to 70 meteors streaking through the sky every hour.

I wanted to go outside on the deck for a better view, but I didn’t want to run into the nocturnal denizens of our yard. My bedroom window faces northeast and that is the direction for the shower to pass through. I discovered that the heavenly show would be in the vicinity of the handle of the Little Dipper. It was very cold last night and many stars were visible, but I couldn’t find the Little Dipper, Draco, or any other grouping. I have never been able to tell one constellation from the other.

I stood at my window and searched the sky. I wanted to see the spectacular event! 4:15 am came and went—not one meteor. 4:30 followed with no sighting. I was getting a crick in my neck as I scanned the sky from the horizon to almost directly above the house.

Finally! At 20 minutes before 5 am, I saw it! One little lonely meteor that was visible for only a blink of the eye. I waited for another half hour but gave up seeing the celestial show that I had anticipated. At least I did see that one little gem.

I forgot to make a wish.

2 comments:

Betty said...

One meteor does not a shower make. Sorry you were disappointed. Maybe there'll be another one in the near future.

jay said...

I don't ever remember seeing anything about a Statute of Limitations on seeing a shooting star and making a wish.
WISH AWAY!!!!