Friday, April 1, 2016

Water, Water Everywhere. . .

but not a drop to drink.

Yesterday about 6:00 pm I head several masculine voices coming from outside. In our neighborhood, you seldom here raised voices except for children and dogs. I looked out and saw a city truck and two men. One had a tool and he was turning off the water at a water thingy in the middle of the street. Then one ran back past our house. I looked out and saw the young man next door and the man across the street standing at the end of the young man's driveway. I should mention, too, that it was a rainy day.The water was pouring out of a hole that had been blown in the street at the end of the young man's driveway. Then I noticed our yard was flooded! The water was running into the yard of the house behind us. That yard was worse than ours. Then several city trucks showed up with several more men and two pieces of heavy equipment (backhoes, I think). By that time it was 6:30 pm. They said a water main had broken. The water kept coming.

They shut off the water to all the houses in our circle. I also heard that that the larger subdivision up the hill from us also had lost their water. Even after shutting off everyone's water at the meters and the at the main, the water kept coming.

The workers started digging while continuing to pump the water that was filling the hole as fast as it was dug. Those guys worked all night. I woke up about 3:30 am. It was thundering and the rain was pouring. The men were still working in a waist deep hole. They turned on the water about 7:00 am. When I left for my walk this morning at 9:30 am., two more city trucks showed up and starting cleaning us the mud and debris from the driveway of the young man's house next door. They also washed the street in from of the house.
I don't think they have finished, but at least the water is flowing into our houses.

It's not easy when the electricity goes off, but doing without water is almost impossible. I hope those city workers know how much we appreciated their efforts.

No comments: