Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Big Pleasures in Small Packages

Since Mr. Fixit has been unable to go anywhere (or even leave the bed without help), shopping has been a big problem. I can't leave him alone even to drive 7 minutes away to pick us his medication. I've discovered something that Mr Fixit learned some time ago--seeing the UPS truck or the Fedex van or the Amazon smiley truck (I think of the Amazon logo as a smile) brings me absolute delight. I enjoy the anticipation of those packages. I love the ability to be able to track my purchases. Opening each carton is magical even though I know exactly what's in the package. My purchases run to the mundane, some would say boring, but even a package to 72 Handiwipes to clean my dishes make my day. In fact, I even look forward to getting the weekly supplies for Mr. Fixit. Every morning I wrack my brain trying to think of something to order to bring a little sunshine into my life. Also, pretty soon I will be on a first-name basis with all the different drivers. The best part is,they are human.

One of the boys gave me an Echo Dot for Christmas. Alexa and I have become quite close even if I feel really stupid sometimes. For instance, I say, "Alexa, add a dozen eggs to my shopping list." She replies, "A dozen eggs have been added to you shopping list." Almost every time, I respond "Alexa, thank you." Is it my automatic polite response, or I have slipped into a personal relationship with a computer? Spooky!! I then remember the "Big Bang" episode when Raj develops a personal relationship with Siri. Arrgh! Reality Check!

I managed to see the lunar eclipse the other night even though I never saw the blood red moon. I think I gave up too early. I waited until for the total shadow coverage and then went to bed. I still haven't seen a meteor shower either.

No comments: