Monday, May 5, 2008

Letting It All Hang Out

I guess this post makes it official; I am a prude! Women of all ages are making a fashion statement that bothers me a bit. It’s not that I am offended; it’s just some of their clothing choices make me extremely uncomfortable.

I first started noticing more than a year ago that the women on the CSI franchises all wore cleavage-baring tops to work. I mentioned it to my brother, asking him if any of the women in his hospital lab came to work with so much showing and what he would do if they did. Being a typical MALE, he sidestepped the issued completely. When I asked Mr. Fixit what he thought about it, he also avoided the issue.

The last time I went to the hairdresser, the young woman cutting my hair was a big person. She was wearing a scoop-necked tee (I know because I saw it from the back) and an apron. From the front it looked as if she was wearing nothing under the apron except for a very brief bra with half-cups which was visible. Not a pretty sight.

Then there is a mother that shows up at the youth league baseball games who must be about 35 and wears low cut tops and always sits bent over at the waist giving everyone an eyeful. I wonder what her 12-year-old son thinks.

When I was at the vet’s office recently a young woman came in wearing black jeans and a black blouse with a steakhouse logo. I assume she is a waitress. The blouse was opened past the third button, and she was wearing a pushup bra was made her look “unnatural.”

Any time you walk into Wal-Mart you see women of all ages (12 to 70) dressed like this. I see nothing wrong with a little cleavage in the evening for social occasions, but somehow it seems a bit inappropriate in a work setting, at a kids’ baseball game, or just out for a bit of shopping.

Yep, I’ve turned into an old prude!

No comments: