Saturday, December 12, 2009

Feline Comfort

Our day started early yesterday. When Mr. Fixit came in from work about 8:30 am, we went to breakfast before starting our Christmas shopping. We came home about 3:30 pm. As soon as I walked into the living room, I noticed that the barrier between the living room and dining room was open. Uh-oh! The thing weighs a ton. I have trouble moving it sometimes even though its on casters. Had I left it open? I don't think so.

Mr. Fixit has made the barrier to keep the two male outdoor cats out of the rest of the house. Even though they are both neutered, they spray marking their territory. That’s unacceptable behavior when most of the house is carpeted. They are allowed in the dining room and kitchen because the floors are easily cleaned if they engage in their smelly behavior. The little black and white one was in his box in the dining room. (It was cold yesterday so they both decided to spend most of the day indoors.) I didn’t see the white one; I thought he must be outside. (There is a cat door for easy access.) I put down my packages and went upstairs. Just has I passed the bathroom, something moved and caught my attention. The white cat was snoozing in the bathroom sink. He knew he wasn’t supposed to be there because he jumped down and headed for the dining room before I could even begin scolding him.

It puzzling to me that he was in the bathroom sink. True, when he had the run of the house, he made the sink his own. That meant I had to disinfect it every time we wanted to use the sink. That got old with me very quickly. Anyway, why was he in the cold ceramic sink when he could have been snuggly warm in either one of the bedrooms on the beds, or in my office chair (his other favorite spot before he was banished to the kitchen and dining room) or on the couch.

Of course, I’m glad that he and his fleas weren’t on the furniture, but I really don’t think he is the brightest bulb on the tree. He may not be the smartest cat in the world, but he's sweet (unless he bringing me disgusting gifts.) Although now that I think about it, it may be smarter than I think; after all he did move that heavy barrier.

No comments: