Thursday, May 8, 2008

My World - Interesting Sights





These are pictures of a giant skate sitting outside a local skating rink. I find it amusing and fascinating. Yeah, I know it doesn’t take much to amuse or fascinate me. Every time I see it, I wonder about who came up with the idea of a drivable roller skate.

Maybe the owner was sitting in his yard on a hot, lazy Saturday afternoon with the guys in the neighborhood. In the yard sits a VW Bug on blocks. “What are you going to do with your Bug, Ole Buddy?” one inquires.

“Well, my wife says if I don’t get rid of it, she’s going to plant petunias in it and put it next to the pink flamingo and the garden gnome in the front yard.”

“Oh, no! You can’t let her do that. That Bug is a classic. You have to think of something to save it.”

Several cases of beer later, it was decided. It was to be turned into a giant motorized roller skate to advertise the entrepreneur’s latest business venture. After all, how much could it cost to strip the Bug down to basics, design the skate, find someone to mold the fiberglass (I’m assuming the body is fiberglass), and to assemble it?

I’m glad it’s there. I like it even better than the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile.

No comments: