Friday, July 11, 2008

Rules of the Road

Recently the governor our state signed a new law that will allow motorcyclists and bicyclists to run red lights. After stopping they may proceed through the light. I suppose the cyclists complained because their vehicles aren’t heavy enough to cause the lights to change. Apparently, there are many lights in the state that are controlled by some kind of pressure mechanisms. Okay, I can see their problem, but I wonder how many accidents will occur when the riders take advantage of the law. The motorcycle lobby in our state must be as influential are the NRA. When you give some people an inch, they take a mile. I’m not sure that this is the best idea I’ve ever heard.

I have no problem sharing the road with motorcycles, but people on bicycles drive me nuts. In our town and in Clemson, there are bike lanes provided for the cyclists on the main streets and roads. I think someone thought that a lot of students would be riding bikes to class. As a matter of fact, I don’t see very many students on bikes; they drive large SUV’s and Land Rovers. Instead of riding in the proper lane, a great many of the cyclists ride ON the white line marking their lane. You still have to swerve around them to keep your passenger side mirror from knocking the dolts ass over teacups.

On Saturday mornings on the two lane highways you will often come upon a gaggle (herd, covey, flock? or perhaps a group of riders should be called a goof) of riders at least 50 or 60 strong who move as one amorphous mass. When they cross the road, they move as one unit making opposing traffic come to a complete standstill . Do they ever consider that I am driving a vehicle that probably weighs a ton or more and their vehicle is only a few pounds? Do they take it for granted that I will stop? Are they betting on the fact that maybe I will stop because I don’t want my car damaged? Apparently, they don’t know of my Uzi fantasies.

If they would ride according the laws and with common sense as I try to do when I drive, maybe I could learn to overlook their Spandex garb*.

*I deleted a rather catty paragraph about the clothing cyclists wear because it was a bit much. What can I say? I’m feeling a bit catty today, but discretion prevailed so I removed it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like that cattiness and the eloquence that comes along with it.