Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Adventures in Cat Care-giving

The little black and white cat has always had a problem with might be described sinus problems in humans. His little face swells around his eyes, he sneezes, and sometimes has a runny nose. He also coughs up phlegm just like a human.


Since Monday the problem has been worse than usual. He seemed to be having trouble breathing and he had no appetite. Instead of the rather sweet little kitty sneeze, he developed a cartoon-like SNEEZE! That would almost blow anything in front of him down.

This morning I decided that it was time to try to get him in the carrier to take him to the vet. Our carrier is cat-sized. We tried and tried to get him in it to no avail. It was traumatic for him (and the other cats, too) and I thought I was going to have a stroke. We trapped him in the dining room and kitchen. He was hiding under the china cabinet. When I pushed him out, he ran under the buffet. I was pushing that filled china cabinet and buffet around the dining room with the power of Wonder Woman.

The problem was, aside from his being a limber cat who turns into limp, slippery spaghetti with pointy claws, the opening in the carrier was just too small. Mr. Fixit went to Walmart and bought the biggest carrier he would find. A Saint Bernard would have been comfortable in it and probably could have a friend to visit.

Mr. Fixit donned his protective gear, oven mitts and a long sleeve shirt, and picked him up and pushed him in. I slammed the door. He got out once because the door didn’t catch right, but we humans prevailed and took him to the vet. The vet is never too pleased to see me show up with my half feral buddies. I asked him if he had a shark suit. I’m not sure that he thought that was funny. He have him a big dose of antibiotic and a cortisone injection with very little problem though.

My little sweetie from Hell ate a little bit tonight at supper so maybe he’s feeling better. It would break my heart to lose him even though he is not very co-operative.

No comments: