Thursday, December 16, 2010

Brown + Cheez Whiz = Philistine (Me)

After installing the free version of Kindle, I chose Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility to try it. I had seen the end of the movie just a day or so before and thought it would be a nice read. I finally finished it last night.

I wonder what the readers of the era thought of her work. Was she considered a talented writer producing great literature as she seems to be perceived now? Or was she seen as a romance writer like contemporary authors Sandra Brown, LaVryle Spencer, or Dorothy Garlock? They may not be producing great literature, but they write entertaining stories for those of us to appreciate the genre.

I find that I must be a complete philistine because I thought S & S boring and wordy even taking into the consideration that writing styles have evolved since the early 1800’s. Many people say that Ms. Austen is their favorite author. That must mean that I have absolutely no taste or discernment. If I’m going to read romance novels, give me Brown, Spencer, or Garlock. I also enjoy Cheez Whiz and Ritz crackers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've tried reading Moby Dick several times but I have trouble finishing more than a few pages. Some of those books might be classics but I'll stick to modern literature.

lucylocket said...

Wally, I, too, tried to read "Moby Dick" but didn't get past the second page. When my younger brother was a kid, I noticed he had a MD graphic novel (the new name of comic books). I couldn't get into that either.