Thursday, May 5, 2011

Recent Daytrip

Last Saturday Mr. Fixit and I took a drive to Cherokee, NC. It’s about a two and half hours away.

As we passed through Rabun County, GA, we saw a few signs of the recent spate of tornados.apr-may 2011 025

The big tree in front of this house fell over and the roots ripped the front of the house away from the main body of the house.

apr-may 2011 024

We saw a number of trees down, but I was taking pictures from the moving car. This is the best of the lot.

There are a number of gem stores in that area. You can “pan” for gems, buy crystal jewelry, or simply buy chunk crystal. We saw these outside a jewelry shop. Some of the crystals are opaque, most of translucent, and others are transparent. I’m not sure if the opaque ones are actual crystals; I don’t know much about the subject. I do know that they are beautiful. I missed taking a picture of the opaque, what I would call “lipstick red” ones. There were many more colors than shown here.

apr-may 2011 017

apr-may 2011 018

apr-may 2011 019apr-may 2011 020apr-may 2011 021

apr-may 2011 022

(Click on photo for more detail.)

No comments: