Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Have I Missed Much?

It’s been 12 days (but who’s counting?) since I turned off my television. I did have it on most of the day during the hunt for the Boston bombing suspects, but I’m not counting that as recreational viewing time.

Do I miss it? Not as much as I thought I would. I turned it on last night to watch “NCIS,” but I only watched a few minutes. I don’t like this ongoing plot line.

Sometimes when I walk into the kitchen, my hand reaches for the on/off switch for the TV that’s in there. It’s sort of like quitting smoking. There are times when most smokers light up—getting into the car, picking up the phone, or after meals. It becomes a ritual almost. Giving up those rituals is  hard even after you have conquered the physical addiction. I’m still haven’t conquered the ritual of the on/off button, but I’m getting there.

3 comments:

jay said...

it all just sounds like craziness to me. :)

Ginnie said...

Thanks for this reminder. I keep getting annoyed at TV but still turn it on. That's about to stop!
Thanks for commenting on my blog. I don't usually write about politics but it finally got to me. (another reason to turn off the tv)

Plantcrone said...

You'l get used to not having the TV on...I've not watched T.V. for over a year now, with the exception of news specials (the Conn. School Massacre and the Boston Marathon). After the last I decided I didn't really need to know about those horrors-it was simply morbid curiosity.

I do admit to watching some political things in 2012 and the election evening. I'm thinking of letting 60 minutes back into my life but T.V. is such an insidious thing that one show can lead to another and to another and pretty soon you're back into the 6 hours + a day.

So what do I do? Audiobooks, especially auto biographies and biographies especially of sports heroes. It was so hard not to view the basketball finals as I am a basketball fan but instead I bought the Larry Bird/Magic Johnson book "When The Game Was Ours" -a great book.

Last world series time I bought Mickey Mantle's biography. Besides listening to books,I quilt, take care of my grand daughter after school and do homework with her, volunteer and do beadwork. I'm a watercolorist and photographer. My house is cleaner, I save $65.00 a month on cable and I can get the news from the internet.

I like life without the boob tub telling me what is important..