Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Garbage Rebellion

The town furnishes our trash receptacles because a few years ago new garbage truck was purchased that featured the lift thingey. The guys no longer have to lift the bins manually. Clearly printed on each container is the instruction to place the handles toward the street. I guess this is so they won’t have to turn it around to fit it on the lift mechanism.

The town also passed an ordinance that required the residents to move their containers from the street-side within 24 hours. Lots of people ignore that one completely and their containers stay there all the time. But all the containers within my view have them positioned correctly with the handles toward the street.

Every Wednesday morning when I take ours to the street, I notice that our neighbor across the way always leaves his container backward. Hmmm—I wonder if this is his small quiet rebellion. There is small part of me that admires him. I’m such a wuss. I am compelled to be a rule-follower.

(I don’t quite understand why the garbage guys can’t turn the containers. I understand how lifting them is difficult, but just turning them?)

2 comments:

jay said...

Rule follower....so that's where Noah gets it from....

Hughes ap Williams said...

In our county having the garbage cans facing correctly allows for a one-person garbage crew. The driver lines up the fork-lift part with the can which picks it up over the truck. If the can is placed facing the truck, the lid swings open allowing the garbage to slide out into the truck. If the can is backward, the garbage may catch in the lid, not completely empty and/or spill some of the contents onto the street. And why make an unpleasant job even worse?