Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Public Service Announcement

During my dental appointment in May I had a small problem that was so small I didn’t even mention it to the dentist.

After I was given the local anesthesia, the doctor went out of the room waiting for the numbing to take place. I was sitting in the chair reading when suddenly my left hand started to shake. The right hand was fine. It was so bad that I almost dropped the reader. It had almost passed completely before the doctor began his drilling, filling, etc. so I didn’t mention it to him. I think it was that same day when we sat down for lunch, the tremors hit again. This time it lasted only a minute or so. After that I didn’t have a problem until today. I assumed that maybe the stress of going to have dental work done was the cause. I have no problem having work done. My dentist is very good and there is very little discomfort.

Today, I had another appointment for another filling. As usual he administered the local and left the room. I was reading when my hand started to shake again. It wasn’t as bad this time. I could stop it by making a fist. It passed while he was working on me.

Before I left asked him if there is anything in the anesthetic that would cause tremors in my left hand only. He said that it could have very well caused it. He said that he used one containing epinephrine (synthetic adrenalin) to prolong the numbing effect of the drug.  He said he  was glad I mentioned it to him. He marked my chart, “No epi.” He said he would just have to work a little faster next time.

I don’t know why this happened. I have had lots of work done and never had a problem. I had no inkling the first time that it was a problem with the anesthesia. I only realized it today.

This morning  as I was sitting in the waiting room, I was thinking what a relaxing place it was. The television was muted, the lighting was low, the music, though vapid, was almost like white noise, and there were very few distractions. I wished that it would take a while before they called me. It’s not often that I have a chance to sit in a comfortable chair with soft music and comforting lighting and  read. I bet not many people have that reaction when waiting to be drilled and filled.

My PSA is that if you get the shakes in the dentist’s chair, it may not be nerves; it would be epinephrine. Be sure to mention it.

No comments: