Sunday, October 1, 2017

A Two-Parter

Part 1 - Current Events in the Fixit Household

After Mr. Fixit's latest scans, a "few" new nodules were found in his lungs. They are very small, but the doctor advised starting a new course of treatment--immunotherapy. This therapy ramps up his immune system to fight the cancer rather than introducing chemicals to kill the cancer. It is supposed to have fewer side effects than chemo, and the treatments are scheduled every other week for only 30 minutes of intravenous infusion. I just hope that it works with few side effects and that we can afford the treatments. That's Mr. Fixit talking. I told him that if we had to sell the house and live in the car, that's what we'll do.

During the visit to discuss his scans, the doctor said that his liver looked okay after the procedure was done a few months ago, but he said the "liver guy" might want to do an MRI instead of just relying on the CT scans. I got a call saying that he should have the MRI. I was a little upset. I thought if he wanted to the the MRI things weren't as good as the "lung guy" seem to think. Our son, who was with us for the consultation, didn't seem to think there was anything to be worried about. He goes for the MRI this coming week.

I wonder why these anomalies are referred to as nodules instead of tumors. Not once since he was diagnosed has anyone said the word "tumor." Is there a difference? Is it possible that not all of these nodules are cancerous, therefore, not tumors? Are they just using "nodules" because it a little less scary than "tumors?"Every time we go to a consultation I want to ask the doctor the question, but I'm a little leery of hearing the answer.

Our weather has taken a turn for the better. The highs for today is predicted to be in the low 70's. Glorious!

Part 2 - On My Soapbox Again

With all the disturbing (to me, at least) events happening in our country, two things have happened that are truly shameful in my opinion. The worst is this country's highest elected official being absolutely rude, crude, and uncaring about the plight of the citizens in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. His attack on the mayor of San Juan was savage and uncalled for. I sincerely believe that the man has no empathy. How can anyone support his rhetoric? Shame on you, Mr. Highest Elected Official.

The first lady sent books to schools to encourage reading for young students. One (dare I say it? yes, I dare) snooty Cambridge elementary school librarian rejected the gift and was rude and condescending. Perhaps the books selected may not be age appropriate for children in the first grade, but younger children love these books. Dr. Seuss racist? I don't think so. Cliche? Tired? Is this librarian out of touch with reality? Why did she have to be so impolite? I was taught that when you receive a gift you smile, say thank you, and accept it graciously even if it isn't something you really like or want. Then you re-gift if you feel you must, lol. I am sure that are many children who would love to receive a book or just to have access to a book. This librarian may not agree with the highest elected official in this country, but it is inexcusable to sink to his level (and that's exactly what she did) and attack the first lady for trying to do a good thing.



No comments: