Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Peculiar Christmas Tradition

There is one Christmas tradition at our house that I could do without. Every year one of our vehicles breaks down. This began only a couple of years after we married. One year a brand new car broke down after we attended the Boston Pops Christmas concert. The car must have only been a couple of months old, if that.

This year it’s my car. The “check engine” light came on. I suggested that Mr. Fixit check the gas cap (I learned something watching all those DIY programs when I was sick). Sure enough, the cap was completely off, rattling around the little fueling port. Alas, the light wouldn’t go off even though the cap had been replaced. Mr. Fixit disconnected the battery hoping to reset the computer. No, that didn’t work either. Then while we were trying to figure out how the cap came off in the first place, he started the car and the starter made a horrible grinding noise.

It looks like we will have to take it to the dealer for repairs that will probably be more than I had planned to spend on Christmas gifts. Mr. Fixit could replace the starter with no problem except that in new cars it is extremely difficult to get to the parts that need to be replaced. Just changing the spark plugs is a major undertaking on my car.

If I were a paranoid person, I might wonder if perhaps the gas cap had something in common with our huge water bill from a year or so ago. I have been complaining to Mr. Fixit for two months now that my gas mileage has been terrible. Time to get a locking gas cap I think. Is my paranoia showing?

No comments: