Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Who's to Blame?

My problem began when my new doctor doubled the dosage of one of my meds. It caused an unpleasant side effect. After living with the side effect for three months, I asked him at my next scheduled appointment if he could suggest anything to alleviate the problem. He gave me a new prescription that seemed to solve the problem. The next month when I called to have it refilled, the computer said that the prescription wasn’t refillable. I checked the label on the container and, sure enough, there it was in black and white, “No Refills.”

I went to the pharmacy to check to see if they had made an error since I will be on this medicine, or one like it, until I croak. They suggested that I use the old prescription that was the same dosage, just taken differently. I said okay. Of course, the side effect returned. When I went this month, I asked the pharmacist if she could give the prescription as prescribed in the previous one since it was the same product and the same dosage. She said she would. When I checked the refill, I discovered that she had given me a form of the medicine that is dangerous for me to take. I need the time release, not the quick acting version. She said she couldn’t give me the time release version. I walked out of Wal-Mart with no meds.

I stopped by the doctor’s office and explained the problem. The young lady there said she would ask the doctor to leave a new prescription at the reception desk that I could pick up today. When I called the office this morning, there was no prescription. I talked to her again and she said that the doctor said that the prescription he had given me was correct—the time release version. I said, “But they won‘t give it to me!” I went through the whole sequence of events with her again, and she said that she would call in a new scrip. Would anyone like to make a bet on whether I get my medicine tomorrow with the appropriate number of refills, in the correct dosage, and in the correct version? I wouldn’t bet on it myself.

I should take some of the blame. When the doctor gives me a prescription, I don’t look at it. I simply take it to the pharmacy. When I get the meds, I simply read the instructions without looking at the number of refills. I don't even know the names of the other meds I am taking or the dosages. From now on, I am going to scan each new prescription and save it on the computer and note why I was prescribed the meds, when I begin taking it, etc. I have been too trusting of both my doctor and the pharmacy. If I had kept a copy of the new prescription at least I would know whom to blame for making me CRAZY!

No comments: