Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Cat-astrophe Avoided; Civic Duty

About a week and a half ago, the white cat came in with a wound on his face just below his ear. Of course, he wouldn’t let me look at it. I needed to take him to the vet to have him tested for feline leukemia, feline AIDS, and several other fatal diseases. He had been exposed to the cat that we had euthanized a couple of weeks ago. I delayed taking him to the vet because I wanted to give the wound a chance to heal. Cats are restrained by holding them by the scruff of the neck; I thought pulling tightly on the wound would hurt him.

Yesterday evening when he came to eat, the wound was bleeding again and it looked like the skin had been abraded. Nasty! He was also acting a little strange. I began to worry that maybe he had contracted rabies. It is so difficult to put him in the carrier, I had neglected his yearly boosters. I was in a state by the time I caught him this morning and took him to the doctor. I just knew that I wouldn’t be bringing him home.

He had all the necessary tests; all were negative. The doctor cleaned the wound and gave him a super-duper antibiotic that only has to be given once a week, and he said that since the cat had received rabies shots in the past, there was little chance of him contracting the disease even though he had missed the boosters. Good news all 'round!

Today I served on a jury; the miscreant didn’t show up for trial. He was tried in abstentia. He was found guilty of possession of less than an ounce of a controlled substance and guilty of driving an unsafe motor vehicle. I have to report tomorrow morning to serve as an alternate. I think this one concerns someone accused of driving 70 mph in a 40 mph speed zone. I hope all the jurors show up so I can leave early.

No comments: