Friday, August 15, 2008

No Complaints

In the past, I have used this forum to “vent” about poor service in retail establishments and the generally shoddy products on the market. Today I have a few good things to say.

Several months ago I wrote about a letter of apology sent to me by AT&T for the outage of my DSL service. I thought it was very nice of them. After all, the service was only interrupted for a few hours.

Tuesday I received notification from Netflix a movie was being mailed to me. I received and returned it Wednesday. Usually, I received two emails the next day—one informing me that they received the returned movie and another saying that they are mailing the next DVD in my queue. I received no email from the company. I was surprised because they are usually so reliable. But Thursday evening I received an email explaining that they are experiencing shipping problems. And get this! The note said everyone who was affected by the delay in shipping would get a credit. What a nice surprise! (AT&T didn’t offer a credit.)

A couple of weeks ago I found in the mail a “Thank You” card. The man who cut our tree sent it thanking us for our business. A very nice gesture.

I quit using iceberg lettuce in my salads years ago. It turns brown too quickly, and I won’t eat brown lettuce! I use green leaf lettuce or romaine as the base ingredient for my salads because they last at least three days. Therefore, I don’t have to make salads on a daily basis. Even when I put the iceberg in a vacuum sealed container it would still turn brown in about three days. Still there are instances when iceberg is absolutely necessary. Romaine on a hamburger or topping a taco just isn’t the same. Iceberg is called for. I found myself wasting a lot of money because of my aversion to brown lettuce.

Rubbermaid has a food storage container called the “Produce Saver.” It has a green lid and a little platform in the bottom. This thing works! I wash the iceberg lettuce, break it into pieces suitable for sandwiches, spin all in water off in the salad spinner (the drier the better), and place it in the Produce Saver. I’ve kept lettuce for two weeks and it stayed crispy and non-brown. Yea! Rubbermaid!

While I'm in this mellow, non-complaining mood, I tried to find something nice to say about the people with whom I share the highways. . .

I tried; I really did!

No comments: