Thursday, March 5, 2009

Big Brother TomTom

In an effort to slow traffic and curb vehicle accidents, the police departments in several of the surrounding jurisdictions (I think in our area they take turns using the same sign) are using those roadside signs that show the speed of passing cars. Now there is an added feature. After showing your speed for the world to see, the sign either rewards the non-speeders with “Have a Nice Day” or admonishes, “Slow Down,” for those drivers who are driving a bit above the speed limit.

I hate it when a machine tries to regulate my behavior. It’s rather like Mr. Fixit’s TomTom. It’s always telling me where to go when I want to go somewhere else, and the darn thing won’t shut up until you turn it off. When we were out the other day, Mr. Fixit was trying to program the darn thing. By the time he had all the info programmed, I had found the road I wanted. I said, “You don’t need no stinkin’ TomTom, you’ve got me.”

No comments: