Sunday, August 9, 2009

HATE

From the time I turn on the television and check my email in the morning, I am assailed by Hate. I am sick of it!

The most virulent Hate doesn’t seem to be coming from enemies outside our borders but from inside our own country. I listen to the news and see stories of our President being maligned for trying to bring our country back from horrendous mistakes that were made by others, not him. I hear him verbally assaulted for trying to correct inequities in the health care system. I see silly stories from the so-called “birthers” who claim that he wasn’t born in the US. I have even seen the silliest story yet criticizing his birthday cake. When will those spewing Hate stop? Why do they do it?

I have my own theory that the Limbaugh’s, Hannity’s, Palin’s and Coulter’s of this world have less than altruistic reasons. Let’s face it, Hate, like sex, sells. They make big bucks spreading venomous stories. If they ever tried using intelligent argument instead of Hate and Fear and offering viable solutions for this country’s problems, they would no longer have an audience. Instead they rely on Hate and Fear to garner wealth and power which in turn feeds and perpetuates their enormous egos.

I am not saying that there is no room for argument and differences of opinion. As a nation, we support debate. We are a nation that was built from toil of different races. We offer the freedom to worship as each individual sees fit. These are the some of the reasons that we are the greatest nation in the world; will this internal Hate bring us to our knees?

The general public seems to be thriving on a steady diet of Hate. What is really surprising to me is that the people who listen to the hatemongers and spread the vileness claim to be good Christians. Why are they ready to believe everything these people say? Maybe it because it plays into the Hate that’s deep in their souls for anyone different that they are. They try to hide their bigotry by invoking the name of God at every turn while spreading their malignant feelings. What happened to the slogan that was everywhere a few years ago—WWJD? Do they think that Jesus could harbor such vile Hatred in his heart for all his children? Maybe they should take a good look into their own hearts. How will they be judged by Jesus who taught love, forgiveness, charity, tolerance, and peace?

9 comments:

Granny Annie said...

Turn off your radio and your television and talk to your friends and neighbors. Not all Americans who voted for McCain/Palin are followers of Limbaugh/Coulter/Hannity. Some of us simply have a different calling in mind for our country. We each look at the world through the eyes of our own experiences. That is why our country is the best on earth because we are a two party system. I pray the best for our Nation under the current leadership and I respect the democratic vote that got us here but I don't have to agree. I also do not have to hate. I think that is where we all are getting it wrong. We think we have to hate persons who feel differently. We only have to agree to disagree and work to change the results in what we see in our favor.

Unknown said...

During the last election I quit attending church because of the hate and spitefulness of evangelical Christians. I believe evangical Christianity left the path of the Gospel when they made that unholy alliance with the neo-conservative faction that has hijacked the Republican party. I doubt I will ever attend church again.
A note to Granny Annie: I talk to my friends and neighbors and they thrive on a diet of Limbaugh/Coulter/Hannity. That makes me fear for the future of our country

Ginnie said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I am sick to death of all the hatred spread by these right-wing do gooders who hide behind the cloak of "Christianity". What hypocrisy!
I also agree with Wally...I have talked with McCain/Palin supporters and they don't even seem to want to give Obama a chance. I hope it's their loss !!

Granny Annie said...

Oh my goodness, I'm sorry but the only "Hate" is hear coming out of this post is from Lucy, Wally and Ginnie. Please go back and read my comment and see where I am spewing the "Hate" you mention. I clearly stated I was a McCain/Palin supporter and yet I wish Obama's administration well. There are many of us out there and I beg you to seek us out rather than label the whole bunch. I am not an evangelical Christian. I am a pro-choice American and I am strictly for tolerance for all human rights. Extremes in either party generate the Hate. We all must meet in the middle with a single desire to preserve our constitution.

lucylocket said...

Annie—Please forgive me if anything I said in my post is offensive to you personally. I didn’t realize that it would appear to others that I was “spewing hate.” In my own defense, I don’t think anything I said compares to the rhetoric that I was talking about.

As for Wally and Ginnie, these are two seemingly good people that I know only through their blogs. Believe me when I say that I don’t believe either one would ever spew hate or attack you personally. Wally is a retired family man who is well-read and artistically gifted. While I have been reading Ginnie’s blog a relatively short time, she seems to be a sweet, gentle soul.

Please understand that I was not attacking you personally, but I do think that there is far too much hate in our society, and I don’t see anything positive coming from it.

Granny Annie said...

Sorry, nothing personal from me either. I simply believe this country can survive anything because of the way we were established and we will continue to be the greatest nation. Disagreements are a far cry from hate. Guess I felt the word was too strong. I feel blessed to live here.

Unknown said...

I think this is a good example of the polarization that typifies American society today. Here are four people who, if we were at a restaurant together, would probably become good friends and would be able to discuss and share diffent ideas. Perhaps someone should start a blog where ordinary folks could share their political opinions in a civil manner. I'm a curious person and would love to learn why others think the way they do. Of course, it would have to be moderated to eliminate the angry commments the crazies on both sides would attempt to post.

Granny Annie said...

Wally, you have an excellent idea. I for one have a lot of questions I would like to ask but don't dare for fear of being yelled at. I also have some points of view I would like to express without being yelled at. These townhall meetings have some good concerns arising but the yellers don't give the leader a chance to respond. I, for one, would like to hear the responses. So, how about starting that blog Wally?

Hughdogg6 said...

Remember the 70's protest song "Eve of Destruction" by Barry McGuire? A line in says "Hate your neighbor but don't forget to say grace!"
That pretty much sums it up.