Thursday, April 8, 2010

"Rainwater"

Sandra Brown usually writes entertaining (at least for me) contemporary fiction with an emphasis on romance, sex, and mystery. Her work is pure escapism. Rainwater is a departure from her usual fare.

The action takes place in Texas in 1934 during dreadful drought conditions, the Depression, and the corruption that sometimes come with governmental programs that are meant to ease the suffering of those in need. It also deals with rampant racism and with the condition we now know as autism.

It did bring a tear or two at the conclusion, but it wasn’t sappy. The only criticism I have is that the main characters were too good. They were living with horrible circumstances in their lives, but they handled everything perfectly.

I finished the book in less than 4 hours; it was a quick read. It was a nice way for me to while away the stormy afternoon and to learn something about a time about which I know very little.

No comments: