Thursday, April 1, 2010

My Continuing Education via "Sally Forth"

This “Sally Forth” comic strip appeared a few days ago.

I am able to recognize several acronyms. I know that "PDR" is “Physician’s Desk Reference” and “asap” means “as soon as possible.” I also know the meaning and the origin of the acronym that has become the word “snafu.” “AWOL” is known to me, too. I know “pdq,” "lol,” and “CPR.” I’m still trying to figure out  “USB” and “NORAD.” Of course, I know what they are, but I’m a little hazy about the exact words the initials represent. I'll look them up one day.


Getting back to the comic strip, I had never heard of “DSM-IV.” I was sent to the internet for clarification. I found "DSM-IV" is “Diagnostic & Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th Edition.” Once again, Sally Forth has contributed to my sadly lacking education, and I am thankful for my computer even though I go absolutely nuts when a snafu occurs and I want it fixed pdq. I’m sure there is a section in the DSM-IV relating to my irrational frustration.

(Click on strip to enlarge.)

No comments: