Tuesday, February 8, 2011

It’s in the Small Print

This morning Ms. Bennett, of Time Goes By, wrote that manufacturers, retailers, and advertisers have begun to recognize that elders, too, spend money to buy their products. They are beginning to change their products, packaging, and advertising to accommodate those of us who are older.

Small print should be taken into consideration; it drives me nuts. It seems that my magnifying glass has become a permanent extension of my right hand even though I wear corrective lenses to compensate for my aging eyes. With my glasses, I can read most books, newspapers, and magazines. I do have trouble with more than a few items with extraordinarily small print.

Below is a scan of a page from the instruction manual of my e-pad along with a page from a normal paperback book. The print in the manual is miniscule when compared to the paperback print. Even with my trusty MG, I find it almost impossible to read.

small print0001

The instructions on OTC medication packaging and containers are sometimes so small that they are  impossible to read. I have sometimes resorted to scanning the containers and enlarging/zooming in on the print.

I suppose that I should invest in a stronger magnifying glass.

(I wondered if I should add the unusal "click on photo to enlarge." It seems a little ironic for this post.)

No comments: