Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Losing It

One of the most annoying things about aging is “losing” things. I suppose it’s caused because I have developed this irksome memory loss. It seems I spend hours a day looking for things.

In the last few weeks, I have lost a cardigan, a pair of black pants, the recharging cable for my mp3 player, other assorted cables, a blue hat, my car keys (a number of times), and numerous other items.

This morning it was a large container of fabric softener. The other day I knocked something off the shelf next to the washing machine.It fell behind the washer; I couldn't reach it. I thought it was the softener. This morning I needed it, so I asked Mr. Fixit if he could use my handy-dandy picker-upper thingy to retrieve the item. When he pulled it out, it wasn’t the container I was looking for.

Because I hate ironing so much, I bought a bottle of “wrinkle releaser.” It appears to be diluted fabric softener. It works well on some fabrics, but it’s just too expensive to use often. Then, being the cheap thrifty person I am, I decided to make my own. I bought an inexpensive store brand fabric softener and mixed it with a little water. It works great at a fraction of the price. This large container was the one I was looking for. I searched and searched and searched. It took me about a half hour to find it.

At least I did find it. My sweater and my black pants have yet to be found. I wonder if they went the way of socks in the dryer—lost never to be seen again.

2 comments:

Betty said...

I am forever losing things, too. And, that's not easy in my tiny little apartment. Recently, I "lost" a hole punch that has always lived on my desk. Always. One day, I reached for it (it's a big, heavy three-hole punch)and it wasn't there. This was a couple of months ago and I still haven't found it. I'm the only one who uses it, and not very often at that. So, where could it be? I dunno.

Hughes ap Williams said...

Be very careful about losing your car keys...they ain't what they used to be! Here is a story bout our lost $250 car key. As a postscript, we found it about two months later...

http://hillsboroughnjjournal.blogspot.com/2011/07/25000-car-key.html