Monday, May 21, 2012

Another Unusual Sighting at Wal-Mart in Dixie

Before I get into the subject of this post, bear in my that we live in a small southern town with a population of about 2,200 people. I don’t think this number includes the many university students that live here when school is in session. The political climate leans heavily toward extreme conservative right wing views and most people attend Protestant churches. If you want to win an election here, you mention “family values” and you’re a shoo-in.

While the university does provide a more liberal view, there are some things that might raised eyebrows among the intellectual and the liberal arts factions. I like to think of myself as broad-minded. I make no judgments as to the alternative lifestyles of others as long as no one is hurt. I can understand gay marriage, transgender individuals, and cross-dressers. What people do in the privacy of their homes and bedrooms is none of my business.

Today, however, I saw something that I have never seen in the almost 30 years we have lived here. As we leaving Wal-Mart, I noticed an individual in a small car who was quite large. Her head was touching the ceiling of the car. Then I noticed her extremely wide shoulders. Her hair was collar length styled conservatively. Then it hit it me! The person I saw was a man. I called Mr. Fixit’s attention to the person, not because I have any moral reservations, but because I have never seen a cross-dresser or a transsexual going into the little Wal-Mart in our Sarah-Palin-lovin’ corner of the world. I was surprised!

When he stepped out of the car, however, I was ready to call the fashion police. He could have been arrested for a felony ugly outfit. He was no Ru Paul, but, hey, I’m no beauty myself. He could certainly use a little constructive criticism of his fashion choices.  He had on a red blouse with a short (a little above mid-thigh) skirt. He appeared to be wearing a padded bra which was not all that generous, but it appeared that it had those 1960’s pointed cups. Not a nice look. His legs were not made for wearing short skirts. Under the skirt he was wearing black shorts. I didn’t quite get that at all. I think he might have been having a little problem with the shorts since he appears to be correcting a wedgy as he strolled across the parking lot.

The biggest fashion faux pas that I noticed though was his choice of footwear. He wore a tasteful pump with a small heel (1 1/2 inches). It was something I might wear. The problem was—the shoes were brown! Everyone knows that you don’t wear brown shoes with a black shirt. What was he thinking?

Even though I think his outfit could have used a little help, I can’t help but admire the courage it took to be different in this world.

2 comments:

jay said...

hahahahah

jay said...

And this is EXACTLY why you need a phone with a CAMERA ON IT!!!!