Friday, May 18, 2012

A Cat Tale

We have all read news stories of the brave pet who has saved it’s master from dire circumstances. Family pets (dogs, usually) warn families of the middle-of-night fires, shepherd young children away from busy streets, and save Timmy from the well. This is not one of those stories.

We have been having quite a bit of rain here in South Carolina for the past few days. With the rain comes those horrid five inch four inch three (okay, truthfully) one and one-half inch flying cockroaches called (I think) palmetto bugs. They are big, ugly, and have wings. One always manages to come into the house after every heavy rain causing disgust and some rather earthy language by me.

I was lying on the bed reading and Little Girl was keeping me company. All of a sudden she jumped up and looked at the wall by the dresser. I didn’t see anything. She then jumped off the bed and gingerly crept up to the side of the dresser. I crept up behind her. One of those ugly five inch one and a half inch bugs came running across the wall. Little Girl, the coward, left the room posthaste and I beat a retreat to the middle of the bed.

After determining that I could exit the room without fear of the BUFC (big ugly flying cockroach) buzzing my head or running across my bare foot, I went in search of bug spray. Little Girl was in the computer room peeking at me from around the corner.

Being a good citizen of the world, I bring my own shopping bags to the store and buy eco-friendly (friendly to all except BUFC’s and other assorted insects) bug spray. The only problem is that in order to dispatch any bug larger than an ant, you have to spritz the nasty buggers about 20 times. I had to chase it all over the room. BUFC’s run very fast even after being hit several times with the eco-friendly spray.

In the meantime, Little Girl was watching from the safety of the computer room. I think she was smirking her cat smirk at me.

My other cats loved playing with bugs, not Miss Scaredy-Cat. No-o-o! She simply watched my battle from a safe distance. She wouldn’t come back into the room for a while. I now realize that if I fall into a well, she will be sitting at the top smirking at me, not running for help. On second thought, perhaps she would if it were almost dinner time.

No comments: