Tuesday, October 23, 2012

My Secret Obsession

Some time ago I decided to simplify my life by decluttering the house. I gathered things like printers, scanners, odd electronic equipment, baby things, knick-knacks,  old cell phones and books to stock a yard sale. The mess inventory is still in our garage. We haven’t had time or the inclination to take on the yard sale. There are games to attend, it’s either too hot or too cold, or Mr. Fixit says, “Let’s go somewhere.” With my junk valuable items and Mr. Fixit seemingly unable to put away his car repair items, his tools, his plumbing and painting crap supplies, it has become almost impossible to walk from the garage door to the door leading into the house. I decided to do something about it. I decided to offer my books for sale on Craig’s List.

I had pulled all the trashy romance novels  women’s fiction from the shelves and boxed them for the yard sale. I thought there were six or seven boxes. I knew that I had to organize them so I took my handy-dandy laptop to the garage to create a data base. I found not seven boxes, but thirteen. Today I finished the data base and found that there are 1,046 books. The next thing I have to do is to sort them so I know where to look for any particular book. Just finding the space to sort over 1,000 books is daunting. It’s also daunting to think about moving them up to the living room to begin the process.

Interesting observations: It seems as though Catherine (or an alternative spelling) is the favorite name of women’s fiction writers. The titles alone are enough to make me  cringe—Temptation’s Kiss, Long Time Coming, Temperatures Rising, Passion’s Bold Caress, etc. “Surrender,”  “Conqueror,” and “Temptation” are favored words in titles.

It’s a little embarrassing to admit it, but I loved reading almost every one. They are like video games—you can quickly become addicted.

After I get rid of some of these, my mysteries will go up for sale; there are even more of those. That will really hurt.

No comments: