Thursday, October 31, 2013

Bad News, Good News

Since Tuesday, Little Girl has been sick. She was lying on the printer in the same position for about 36 hours without eating, drinking, or using the litterbox. This morning we took her to the vet. He found that she was dehydrated, has a bad bladder infection, and worst of all, she has diabetes. There’s not much you can do with diabetic animals. I was ready to tell him to put her down, but when he saw that I was very upset, he suggested that we put her on antibiotics for the infection and wait for a week and do another blood test. He also gave her some special food. The good news is he says he as seen cats go into remission with the diabetes after treating the infection. He also gave her liquid by IV. When we can back home, she seemed to be feeling a lot better. She even ate a little.

Right now there is another complication; she is bleeding quite a bit from the IV site. I’ve bandaged it loosely with gauze, but I can’t stem the flow. I’ve changed the bandage several times. I’m not sure what else to do since it’s 9:30 pm and the vet, of course, is closed. I suppose we could put her in the kennel again to take her to the emergency vet 25 miles away, but I’m afraid that she will bleed even more being forced into the kennel. And, believe me, she has to be forced. She got me this morning with her claws in a couple of places.

It breaks my heart to see her sick and to think I could lose her. She has been my companion for 10 years.

1 comment:

Linda@VS said...

Lucy, I'm sorry to learn that your Little Girl is sick. Of all the things you've been dealing with, I'm sure this one matters most to you. I'm hoping she'll rally and continue to keep you company for a long time. Hugs to you and Little Girl.