Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Yes, Lucinda, there is a Santa Claus

The last few months have been quite trying here at the Fixit residence. Murphy Law’s is in full force. It’s been difficult financially, emotionally, and physically. This morning the worst came.

Our car had been making a funny noise that Mr. Fixit couldn’t seem to hear. I could hear it, and it seemed ominous. I suggested that he take a a look. Our car is a little (little being the operative word) foreign job. That means that there is  little room to work under the hood. I nagged a little and suggested we take it to the dealer.

The upshot of that visit were dire warnings and a repair estimate of over $1,100.00. I can’t describe what I was feeling. I hit rock bottom.

Our car has 90,000 miles on the odometer, and we’re a few months shy of paying it off. We talked it over and decided we can’t do without a car. (Mr. Fixit’s truck is old, too.) We also decided to have this one fixed instead of buying a new one. I would like to have at least a year without car payments.The dealer let us have a loaner, and we left the car at the shop.

On the way home, I noticed that I had the warranty book in the little pouch of papers that Mr. Fixit took out of the car when we left it at the dealer. As I flipped through it, I noticed that 100,000 mile warranty seem to cover our problem. After we had lunch, we went back and asked the service rep if our problem was covered under the warranty. We weren’t very confident. I told Mr. Fixit that we shouldn’t be surprised if they found some way not to honor the warranty.

After the service rep conferred with the service manager, and he, in turn, did a little research, they informed us that the repairs were, indeed, covered.  I asked how much our bill would be. The rep looked at me as if he didn’t understand what I said. He then understood my question. He said, “The whole bill will be covered.”

Relief swept over me. I said, “Now we can have Christmas.” After we left the office, I had another little emotional moment in the parking lot. I said to Mr. Fixit, “I talked to God, you know.”

So, Thank you, God, and thanks to the guys in the service department. We’re more grateful that you can ever know.

No comments: