Friday, November 21, 2014

Good Riddance

This morning as I was preparing the stock for chicken noodle soup, it occurred to me that another item has disappeared from our lives just like those little triangular car windows have disappeared. An item that was both a time saver and the bane of my existence—onion skin paper. (I was peeling an chopping onions at the time this thought occurred.)

When I was a secretary personal assistant in a law office, every document I typed had to have at least two duplicates. Oh, how I hated that carbon paper and that flimsy onion skin. We went through it very quickly. It was so messy, and if you made a typo, every copy had to be corrected.

While I was still working, improvements were happening. Invoices came with in sets with snap-out  carbon copies, but they couldn’t be corrected easily. Then came the carbon paper-less sets. They were better than carbon paper and onion skin. Then came cheaper copy machines--type a document and copy the original for  the file copy. Heaven!

Now I suppose that copies are filed by hitting the save button with no paper involved.

While I do lament the loss of those little car windows, I don’t mourn the passing of carbon paper and onion skin even though I no longer work outside the home.

(Good grief! As I was proofing this post, I realize that I just keep getting goofier and goofier all the time. Who thinks about carbon paper and onion skin except me?)

No comments: