Friday, December 26, 2014

Phew! (A Sigh of Relief)

Like all families we Fixits have developed over the years our own Christmas tradition. Instead of singing Christmas carols around the gaily lit tree or having a Christmas goose, our tradition falls in the “uh-oh” category. Every year something happens to put a damper on the Christmas spirit  or to cause Mom (me) to have a breakdown. It’s usually major car trouble. In the last few years, it seems to be health problems. This year it was health again, but it turned out not to be as bad as it first appeared. It merely caused worry and the complete demise of my Christmas spirit.

Mr. Fixit’s oral chemo meds are ordered from a specialty pharmacy in Pennsylvania. Usually, I call for the refills a week before he’s scheduled for the last dose. The pharmacy then sends the refill  by FedEx, and it always is delivered on the day promised. They send it for overnight delivery.

In November when I ordered his December refill, I asked the rep if I should call a few days early for his January refill because of the holidays. She said there was really no need, and she said they can’t refill it if I call more than ten days ahead. Mr. Fixit’s last dose is December 28. I called for the refill in the ten day window on December 19. The rep said the shipment would be scheduled for December 24. I asked her if perhaps it would be better to schedule it a day or so early because of the holiday. She said, “It will be fine on the 24th.” I accepted her word that it would be delivered on the 24th.

We were going to Ben’s house for our Christmas get-together on the 24th. We were supposed to be there at 5:00 p.m. I had warned them we might be a few minutes late because it was raining and the delivery instructions are to leave the package under all circumstances. We needed to be present to receive the medicine instead of leaving it out in the rain. I requested those delivery instructions so I wouldn’t have to chase down a delivery if we missed one.

We waited until 6:30, but no meds. Did I mention that we saw a FedEx truck in our neighborhood very early in the afternoon? Well, we did. That was when I began to worry.

We waited until 6:30 to leave. I was so upset. That medicine is keeping Mr. Fixit well, and I don’t want an error in taking it to mess things up. I spent most of the evening doing what I usually do in times of trouble. I think about all the problems that can arise and the actions to take to ameliorate what could be dire results. After the children opened presents Ben and Jason tried to trace the delivery, but we had no tracking number. I was about to lose it completely by that time.

We came home. It was still raining. Instead of coming the the garage door, I walked around to the front of the house even though I had little faith that the package would be there. Lo and behold, there it was! I have never been as relieved in my whole life. Mr. Fixit has his meds and all’s right in my world (maybe). So far the car is still operational.

I woke this morning with thanks that the holiday is over, and we made it through without plague, pestilence, famine, or flood.

(I do feel sorry for that poor FedEx driver who was working so late on a dark, rainy Christmas Eve. He has my gratitude.)

No comments: