Wednesday, February 11, 2015

This and That

It’s that time of year again! Noah has a baseball scrimmage game this afternoon. He’s a freshman this year, but the coach gave him a locker, a varsity cap, and a position on the varsity team. He still isn’t sure if he will continue to play on the A team or will play on the B team. His dad is thrilled. (Me, too.)

The really thrilling thing for me is for the last grading period he is ranked No. 1 in his class! That’s NO. 1!!! That really makes me proud. That kid is so smart!

He also has his driver’s learning permit now. I’m not too thrilled about that. It worries me. I remember when our sons started driving. I was scared spitless every time they left in the car. Noah is a strong young man with a good judgment though. I’m sure he will do fine and drive safely.

Mr. Fixit is feeling well enough to be working at the trailer park. He just goes nuts without some place to go and something to do. There is lots of stuff to do around the house, but it isn’t the same for him. It’s okay with me. In fact, sometimes I want to say “Here’s your hat and there’s the door” when he gets so bored and grumpy just sitting around.

He has some scan’s coming up at the end of this month. He has a little cough that is a bit worrying.

I have been knitting. I’m not really crazy about knitting, but there is something comforting and relaxing about doing the same thing over and over. Sometimes after spending what seems to be hours on the phone with drug companies, foundations, and insurance companies, I need that sort of mindless activity. We now have lots of hats and mittens, and I’m working on a sweater now. I like the knitting part okay, but I hate putting all the pieces together when making clothing.

I have been watching my diet and  I continue to walk at least six days a week. My blood sugar is okay, but I seem to have reached a plateau with my weight loss. It’s discouraging to say the least.

A few days I made a pot roast and ate half of a potato. That was the best potato I have ever tasted. I haven’t had a real potato (or pasta) since September.

I have cut my insulin intake in half. Yea! for me and our finances.

I have also been reading a lot. I’ve discovered that there are a lot of cozy mysteries with craft themes. I really enjoy those. Of course, the occasional macabre thriller is necessary. I have also found Louise Penny whose books feature an inspector  with the Canadian Surete. The plots aren’t that exciting, but I do like the characters and the ambience. Also, she has no qualms about letting the continuing, rather likable, characters show their flaws, including petty or even felonious behavior. I’ve almost finished the whole series.

It’s a little cold here today. The hats and mittens will come in handy at the game tonight. There’s no place colder than a baseball field in the winter. On the other hand, there is no hotter place in the summer.

No comments: