Monday, February 2, 2015

ScI-Fi Becoming a Reality?

Today when the pharmacy called to tell me my prescription was ready for pickup, they also told me the price. It was more than double of what I usually pay. Mr. Fixit has had one regular prescription filled since the beginning of the year and it was more expensive that it normally was also. No one mentioned at the pharmacy why it was more and we didn’t question.

When our old insurance company that administered our Part D discontinued the plan, we had to find another insurance provider. We chose one of the largest and best known in the country. The agent who sold us the coverage said that there was no deductible. I was a little doubtful on that one.

When I heard the price I call the insurance company, and the rep on the phone said that the prescription should have been priced at $3.00 a month. The doctor had ordered a 90 day supply. She said that I should ask the pharmacy about the price.

As soon as I requested the prescription, the pharmacy tech said that the insurance would not cover the medication and suggested that I talk to another person who handled insurance questions.

When that person brought up my record on the computer, it indicated that the insurance company (at least, I think it is the insurance company and not the pharmacy) required prior authorization to cover part of the cost  because. . . Ready? Because I am over 64 years old. I said, “Are they going to let me die because I’m 64?”  I am 69 and I have never had that problem with this, or any, medication before. The med is widely used to control blood sugar levels. I take the generic form, and the cost without insurance is $20.00. We are not talking about a very expensive product.

I can’t explain how it felt to be told I am too old for medication. I feel like a character in the movie, “Logan’s Run.” In that movie everyone over the age of 30 were sacrificed to preserve the delicate balance of population and resources. I haven’t even used my 3 score and 10 yet. I have never felt so useless. Are those of us over the age of 64 simply a burden on the rest of society? Am I not worth the medication I must have to complete my life in some physical comfort?

I wonder what the reaction of Ronni Bennett (“Time Goes By”) would be if this happened to her. I am simply at a loss.

Clarification: I was told that in order to get a refill on this medication, there had to be "prior authorization." I don't know why the prescription itself was not "prior authorization." Also, the pharmacy did an override (whatever that is) and I did receive the medicine. The pharmacy faxed my doctor to get the "authorization." Knowing my doctor, that should happen about two weeks after I need a refill in three months.

No comments: