Sunday, September 2, 2007

He's Gone Again

Mr. Fixit is in Connecticut. He left yesterday morning at 7:00 am and arrived at 9:45 pm. He made very good time. Once again, Jason let him borrow the GPS. He was lost once, but the gadget put him back on track immediately. I don’t know how long he’ll stay.

He has quite a few family members there. His aunt, the family matriarch, is getting along in years and her husband died a couple of years ago. I think she is a bit depressed and lonely. She can’t get around very well, and I think she misses her independence. She lives with her daughter, but I would think it’s not the same as living in your own home. They built a separate suite on their house for her. She needs to have someone with her, but I know how she must feel. Getting old is hell!

He just called and said that it was cold there. Of course, if the temperature falls below 70 degrees, he thinks it’s cold. I forgot to remind him to take a jacket.

He drove the Buick and left me with the truck. Yesterday I had to go grocery shopping. As I left the driveway, I noticed that the needle on the gas gauge was below the “E”. I almost panicked until I remembered that it doesn’t work. When he called from the road, the first thing I asked him was how much gas was in the tank. He uses the trip odometer to tell him when to fill up. Then I turned on the AC; after a blast of hot air, I remembered the AC doesn’t work either. The clutch is weird, too, and it hurts my knee to use it. I told him I sprained my wrist cranking down the window. I tease him about not having power windows in the blue bomb. I was hoping that I wouldn’t have to go out again until he gets home, but I need to go to the pharmacy. I shouldn’t complain; at least I have some sort of transportation.

I wasn’t very productive yesterday, and I don’t plan to be today although I should load the dishwasher. I read a book and a half yesterday, played on-line games, and watched old movies. Monday is soon enough to get back to housework.

Our heat wave seems to have ended, thank goodness! The temperature is below 80 now, with a high in the upper 80’s forecast for later in the day. It’s better than the l00’s we have had for the last month. Now all we need is a steady rain for a few days.

No comments: