Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Pink with Embarrassment

Mr. Fixit was having problems with his cell phone. It was several years old and would no longer hold a charge. Even though mine was a couple of years newer, I, too, was experiencing problems with mine holding a charge. We went to the phone store to see if we could get new batteries or to buy new phones.

Their tech guy took one look at Mr. Fixit’s scratched, battered phone and said that batteries for that phone were no longer available. I wonder if he saw the little “adjustment” that Mr. Fixit had made to it. There is a button on the side of the phone that changes the ring to vibrate. He would accidentally hit that button and miss phone calls. His solution to the problem was to put a glob of super glue on the button. He’s so clever. The tech said that the battery for my phone costs $37.00; he suggested it might be cheaper to purchase 2 new phones with a buy-one-get-one-free offer. I was a little p.o.’ed because I knew purchasing new phones would require us to sign a new contract. What a rip-off! We have been using the same company for years and years, and it seems unfair that we must be obligated for two years just because the phones have be to replaced. If one of us croaks during the contract period, the survivor is stuck with paying for two cell phones. At our age, that is a possibility. Changing providers isn’t possible since our family uses the same one, and there is unlimited minutes for cell-to-cell phones.

When the perky sales rep asked what kind of phones we wanted, I told her that we wanted basic phones. I explained that we didn’t need a phone that takes photos, connects to the internet, and is capable of downloading music and TV programs.

When we left the office, we were the proud owners of phones that take pictures, connect to the internet, and can download music and TV programs. The bottom line was that with the buy-one-get-one-free offer the two Razr phones were cheaper than buying two basic phones. Of course, there will be few pictures made, and I will never connect to the internet to download music because I don’t need to and I don’t want to.

The truth is I was seduced by the cute little pink phone I was shown. I am so embarrassed!

1 comment:

Tee/Tracy said...

LOL - It is hard to resist, isn't it?