Friday, December 14, 2007

Silly Old Codgers (That's Us!)

Today was a very busy day for us. Mr. Fixit had to work until 1:45 pm. I attended Bella’s kindergarten Christmas program. I planned to pick him up for lunch after her program since he works in the same town were Bella goes to school. His truck was left in the parking lot where he works. We planned to do a little shopping, and I had to be at Jason’s at 3:15 to watch the Noah and Owen for a little while.

We stopped at a fast food emporium, and I parked on the opposite side of the building from where I usually park. When we finished, we walked out the usual door only to remember that we had parked on the other side of the building. We traipsed backed through the lobby to get to the car. I wondered if anyone noticed the two old codgers wandering around giggling.

We didn’t have time for shopping; we headed to Jason’s. After leaving his house we did a little shopping for PlayStation games in the town where Mr. Fixit works. They only had one of the games that we wanted so we decided to go to our local Wal-Mart on our way home. Sixteen miles down the road, a black truck with a silver toolbox in the back passed me. “Gadzooks!” I said. (I really didn’t say “gadzooks”; I actually said a more socially unacceptable word.) “We forgot your truck!”

Since we were so close to our local Wal-Mart, we went in to check to see if they had the other game that we wanted. As we looking at the myriad of games, a young man about 9 years old must have seen our befuddlement. He explained the store’s system of displaying the games. (I felt as stupid then as I felt when earlier I had to ask Noah how to use their remote control.) It was then that we realized that we had purchased the wrong game and paid $20.00 more than we should have. We did find the second game and bought the correct version of the first game that was $20.00 cheaper.

S-o-o-o, we left and started the 16 mile return trip to pick up the truck and return the game that we had bought in the other town. Then we made the 16 mile trip home. We drove 96 miles on that stretch of highway when we should have driven only 64.

They say when you get old the second thing to go is your memory; the third thing to go is your monthly gasoline budget.

No comments: