Friday, October 3, 2008

Fiscal Responsiblity - You're Doing It Right!

Our small town is trying the cope with the high cost of gasoline. In our area, supplies of gas are scarce. There are lines at the stations that have a supply, and
there is only "regular" available.

Usually when the water department sends out its meter readers, they arrive in a pickup truck. The last time they were here the two guys were in a golf cart. I assume that it is electric since it is so quiet. Last week when they were digging yet another hole in our neighborhood street, the men manning the backhoe arrived on the golf cart. Mr. Fixit and I saw two carts at a work site a few days ago. I don’t know if the carts have been purchased, rented, or borrowed, but they certainly must be cheaper and cleaner to operate than the usual pickup trucks.

Speaking of pickup trucks and fiscal responsibility, a few years ago I read in the town newsletter that the City had purchased from some government agency two surplus pickup trucks for $1.00 each. Those trucks are still being used. They are old and ugly, but they get the job done.

I don’t know who made the decision to use the golf carts; it could have been the town manager, the mayor, or the head of the water department, I suppose, but I suggest that we send that individual to Washington to clean up the financial debacle this country is facing.

I am so proud of our town!

No comments: