Friday, October 10, 2008

Follow-up

My letter to the editor concerning elder language:

“I wonder if the ‘young’ members of your editorial board will change their perspectives as they age.

Perhaps it would be better to show your ‘kindness’ by being respectful and polite to elders by addressing them by their names and titles (Ms. Smith or Mr. Jones). As a matter of fact, I found it demeaning and patronizing to be addressed by ‘endearments’ by complete strangers when I was younger.

It may be enlightening to you if you ask a few elders how they feel about this subject. You may be surprised. You can find relevant comments at www.timegoesby.com, October 10, 2008, post.”

Explanation: The writer of the editorial referred to the "younger" members of their editorial board.

Their reply (which was received minutes after I sent the above email):

"Not as young as you might think. I'm closing in on 60. I was always raised to preface with Mr. or Mrs. or even Miss and do so today, but can't resist a few Alabama endearments. Old habits are hard to break. But I am sorry you were offended."

I wasn't offended by the editorial; it made me feel. . .(I can't find the exact word to use to describe how it made me feel) disappointed (for lack of a better term) that a whole segment of our society is regarded with such thoughtlessness.

No comments: