Friday, April 6, 2012

It’s a Miracle!

When I told Jason that Mac, the crab, has passed on, I asked him what I should do with the deceased. He said to just leave him in his container, and he would take care of him when he picked up the rat gerbil Friday morning. He said he could keep the shell that Mac called home if Owen wanted to replace Mac with a new pet. Incidentally, Mac is a hermit crab, not a fiddler crab as I posted earlier. Hermit crabs live in shells that have been used by other crustaceans.

Jason opened the container and picked up the seashell. Lo and behold, something inside the shell moved! You should have seen Jason’s face. What we thought was the body of Mac turned out to be his exoskeleton, and Mac was safely inside his borrowed shell. How was I to know? I know little of biology or crab-ology. Finding him alive was such a relief. I was so happy! Owen would no longer have to think of me as his homicidal grammie. Jason’s wife said she was glad we didn’t have a funeral and inter him.

Jason had a terrible thought. He was wondering if when Mac’s friend, Cheese, died, he (Jason) was mistaken and perhaps there had been a “Premature Burial.”

It seemed to be totally appropriate for him to be “resurrected” in this, the Easter season. There were some vaguely sacrilegious jokes, but we all were thankful that Mac is alive and well.

2 comments:

jay said...

Uh, first of all, Snowflake is a hamster, not a gerbil. Secondly, I think Mac has finally passed. He hasn't moved in a couple of days. When I get home tonight, I'm going to try and coax him from his home and see what happens. But right now, it's not looking good.

jay said...

Update...
Funeral service for Mac the Hermit Crab will be held at 5:30 p.m. in the fire pit area.