Friday, January 11, 2013

Mr. Fixit Was a Hit

Bella’s fifth grade class is studying immigration, and she asked that Mr. Fixit (Boopah, as he is called by her and her brothers) come to school with a presentation concerning the country he where he was born and his immigration to this country. I went along to serve as Mr. Fixit’s aide. You’ve heard of seeing eye dogs? I’m Mr. Fixit’s hearing ear wife. Since he hearing isn’t the best he sometimes needs me to repeat what he doesn’t hear and doesn’t completely understand.

Bella was so poised and confident during her introduction of Boopah to  her class. She said, in part, “This is Boopah and he’s going to talk to us about. . .” I was so proud of her. She also passed around some currency and the tropical fruit that we took as examples of what the people in South America eat. She’s quite the little hostess.

The children were wonderful. They listened and asked questions politely. Some of the boys came over to me after the presentation and asked me questions.

As a closing, Mr. Fixit mentioned that he had been stationed at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, and that was a very important fact because “that’s where he met his lady (me).” A collective “Aw-w-w” rose. More than one young person said, “Isn’t that sweet? He called her his lady.” Then Mr. Fixit said that our 47th anniversary was soon. On the way out one of the boys came over and said “Happy Anniversary!” to me. Now, how sweet is that?

No comments: