Thursday, January 3, 2013

No Free Lunch

For those who think seniors have it made, consider this. The pharmacy called me yesterday to tell me one of my prescriptions was ready and the cost would be $234. I was a bit shocked because I usually pay $45. After thinking about it, we decided that we must have a Medicare plan which has a deductible. Okay, I pay the $234. On the way home, I was trying to decide how to stretch a dollar a little more because of this unexpected expense. It occurred to me that that the house taxes that are due before the 15th of this month are less than the $234 that I paid for a one month supply of that one medicine. Thank heaven for the homestead exemption on our home and the property tax break that seniors are given. And I'm also thankful that I have now fulfilled my deductible for the year on that one purchase.

No comments: