Thursday, February 7, 2013

Feeling My Age

I don’t normally sit around thinking about being old. Of course, they are the constant reminders of mysterious aches and pains that come and go. There is also the truth staring at me every time I look in the mirror. I do have my “magic” bathroom mirror that knocks off about 20 years. Even not being able to tell the new crop of young entertainers like Lady Gaga and all the other blonds and the other skimpily attired young women from one another doesn’t bother me much. But the other night, I looked up and the television and suddenly felt old.

The television was tuned into a rerun of “Castle.” I wasn’t really watching as usual. I listen more than anything. I was either embroidering or playing a computer game; I don’t remember which. I didn’t have my full attention on the show. Then I heard a familiar voice. I looked up and it took me a minute to recognize the face. It was Chad Everett, an actor who appeared in the show, “Medical Center” in the late 60’s or perhaps the early 70’s. The face I saw on “Castle” was an older man who was still quite handsome, but he wasn’t 30 years old anymore. He was very handsome when he were younger.

I looked him up on line and discovered that he was about the same age as Mr. Fixit. Apparently, he died shorty after he made the “Castle” appearance. The funny thing is that even though Mr. Fixit’s hair is white, and he has wattles just like me, he doesn’t seem that much older to me than he did when he was 30 years younger.

No comments: