Monday, February 11, 2013

Tip of the Day

Yesterday pot roast was on my menu. I started it a little late and was in a bit of a rush to get it on. When I prepare the meat, I sprinkle it with pepper, ground mustard, and a bit of garlic powder. I’m the first to say that I’m not a great cook, but I usually don’t mess up pot roast. After all, I’ve been making it the exactly in the same way for almost 50 years.

After browning the meat and adding the vegetables, I added the water, a bit of soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce, a bit more ground mustard. I opened the cabinet for the mustard, and picked up the container I had used before. It was different. Then I looked up a shelf and saw a container that is clearly marked “Ground Mustard.” It was not the one I had used before. The first application turned out to be ground ginger.

The finished product tasted okay, but it had a bit of an Asian flavor.

Tip of the Day: When cooking, one should always wear one’s glasses and not be in a rush, unless one happens to like pot roast with an Asian flair.

1 comment:

Hughes ap Williams said...

When I am cooking I line up all the ingrediants before starting. It prevents being half-way done and discovering I am out of something or forgetting an item.

Years ago I was all ready to put a meatloaf in the oven when I spotted the onions still sitting there....re-do.