Thursday, February 13, 2014

Cats

Since Mr. Fixit’s health problems, I haven’t really had time to think about the cats. I’ve had three put down in a relatively short time. For the first time in about 40 years, we have no pets.

I don’t miss the shed cat hair. I don’t miss the smelly canned food. I don’t miss having the back door open in all kinds of weather so they were able to come and go at will. I don’t miss the huge cat food bills. I don’t miss cooking chicken for them every two days.

I do miss the head bumps. I miss the white cat twining around my ankles and rubbing his face on my shoe laces. He acted hurt when I wore shoes without laces. I miss his uncanny ability to know when we were eating and to know it was 6:00 pm (his dinner time). He even adjusted to daylight saving time. I miss Little Girl sitting in front of the computer and chasing the cursor. I miss her curling up in bed with me at night.

If I had two wishes, I would wish for Mr. Fixit to be well with no pain and to have my cats back. (Shades of Pet Sematary!)

No , I don’t want a new cat. I will never have another pet. I’m too old; they might outlive me and then what would happen to them. It would also hurt too much if I did outlive them.

No comments: