Thursday, February 27, 2014

Unsolicited Product Assessment

(All too often I have complained about the quality of the goods I purchase. This time I found a product that works well for me.)

Ours sons and one grandson came over to replace the kitchen floor which was so bad it was embarrassing. I had requested linoleum because I am so messy in the kitchen. I spill, drip, and scatter no matter how hard I try to be neat while cooking.

Jason and his wife have hardwood floors in their kitchen. They have had to replace sections several times when the icemaker or dishwasher leaked. I decided my being messy and having an icemaker and dishwasher, linoleum was the only viable floor covering for me.

The linoleum I picked looks like wood and is textured. In fact, the texture makes it hard to use a broom. You can only sweep with the grain, and then it’s hard to sweep up all the  dust, crumbs and the pine needles Mr. Fixit tracks in from outdoors. I decided to try an electric broom.

003
(The floor is actually evened toned; the flash distorts the color.)

Off to Wal-Mart! I chose a Eureka! lightweight vacuum cleaner. I think the model name is Quick-Up. It weighs only a couple of pounds. The head is as wide as the steps making it easy to vacuum the stairs. (I hate trying to vacuum the stairs!) It has the rotating brushes in the head to clean carpets, but it doesn’t do a great job; however, I didn’t buy it to use on the carpeting.

In short, it was cheap, it’s lightweight, and it does a good job on the linoleum in the kitchen and downstairs bathroom and the porcelain tile in the upstairs bathroom.
Of course, I don’t know about its reliability since I’ve only had it a few days. If it breaks down any time soon, you can bet I will be complaining about it, retracting every nice thing I’ve said.

No comments: