Thursday, March 27, 2014

Problem Solved

Mr. Fixit and I usually have completely different breakfasts. I make his first and then mine. Often I miscalculate and fix my cup of tea too early leading to a lukewarm cup with my breakfast.

A few days ago it happened again. After muttering and grumbling, I put the cup of water with the teabag still inside into the microwave for a minute. Out came a steaming cup. And this was TEA! This was a cup of tea that a burley Maine lobsterman would have on his boat on a cold morning. This was not the cup of tea that my grandmother would daintily sip with her pinkie extended.

Now my SOP is to boil the water in the kettle and then nuke it for a minute or so.
There is a drawback. When the tea comes to a boil again, it splashes all over the oven (much like the exploding chicken I experienced not long ago). And it leaves stains unless I wipe it up immediately.  I don’t always get to it immediately. As you can see in the photo (I cleaned part of it with a Mr. Clean sponge thingy for contrast), it leaves quite a mess. 

3-27-14 001

I explained my problem to Mr. Fixit. I told him I need something to cover the cup but allow the steam to escape without blowing off.

This is his solution. I gave him a disposable food storage container that completely covered the cup with clearance between the cup and the upside down container. He them pulled out his handy-dandy Craftsman battery operated drill and made several holes to allow the steam to escape.

3-27-14 002
Ta-Da!

No more mess and no more lukewarm tea!

I’ve always said, give the man $10,000 worth of Craftsman tools and a roll of duct tape and he can fix anything.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your solution. That does sound like one strong cup of tea.