Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Sign of the Times

Today I was notified by one of my libraries in a neighboring county that my non-resident card had expired. I decided to take the 30 minute drive to the closest branch to our house to get it renewed. The library is not in the best part of town, but I’ve never had a problem.

I approached the desk and asked to have my card renewed. As I was waiting for the librarian to do her computer thing and to take my debit card, I noticed something that took me aback.

Standing behind the desk was an armed, plain clothes LEO (I’ve been watching too much “NCIS.” LEO is law enforcement officer for those non-fans of “NCIS.”). His badge was on a lanyard and he was packing heat! In a library, for gosh sakes, a library. His weapon was in clear view. I suppose it serves as a deterrent. What has this world become when you need an armed officer in the library?

Scary, isn’t it?

No comments: