Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Computer Paranoia

One of my rituals for starting the day is to solve the Washington Post crossword puzzle. Last week when I clicked on “Daily Puzzle,” it wouldn’t load. Hmm. I tried several times during the day. My day just wasn’t the same without the WP puzzle. Strangely, the Sunday puzzle and the weekly Puzzler (a more difficult puzzle) loaded with no problem.

I tried several things to correct the problem, but I couldn’t get the darned thing to work. It became a niggling mini-obsession. A few days later I tried one more thing.

For years I used Internet Explorer as my browser, but when Google took over Blogger, I found it was easier to use Google. (One reason why I’m sure Google is trying to take over the world beginning with my computer. They are always making changes without telling me.) For some odd reason, I decided to try the IE browser, and lo and behold! the puzzle loaded with no problem.

Is there a IE conspiracy to get back a little at Google (beginning with my computer)? Is Google punishing me for being a little less than thrilled with their knowing-what’s-best-for-everyone attitude by making decisions concerning my computer without getting my input? Am I being a little too paranoid? Nah, you know what they say about paranoia, “It’s not paranoia if someone is actually out to get you.”

No comments: