Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Tech Savvy–Not!

This morning I woke early as usual. Getting out of bed before dawn just starts my day wrong. I picked up my tablet to read the news in bed. When reading the news, I always change the orientation of the tablet from “portrait” to “landscape.” It usually changes immediately. It didn’t change. I couldn’t think what the problem could be. I clicked on “Settings” but nothing there seemed to be relevant to my problem. I clicked on every icon in “Setting.” Then I clicked on “Help.” It didn’t—help, that is. There it was 5:30 am and I was already p.o.ed. Yeah, a great beginning to the day.

I gave up and finally got up. As soon as Mr. Fixit came down to breakfast, I asked him if I could use his tablet (they are identical) to check the settings on mine. The settings were exactly the same except for the eye thing. (The “eye thing” puts the tablet to sleep if it doesn’t detect your eyes. I turned that little gadget off on mine.) I was stumped.

I said, “I don’t know what to do. I’ll have to call Jason to ask him how to fix the problem, but I really don’t like asking for help with the computer stuff.” I think he has other things to do besides listening to me whine and bitch about my lack of tech skills.

I heard an notification alert, so I opened the alert and found the answer to my problem. I had never really looked at the tool bar on the notification screen. I assume I accidently hit the screen rotation icon and turned it off.

tablet image

(Click on photo for detail.)

I felt a little silly. I glad I didn’t have to ask for help on this one.

And speaking of my lack of technical expertise, it took me almost an hour to take the above picture and put in the arrow (which is still a misaligned a little). It involved my digital camera, the camera on my phone, removing  the case from the phone, removing the SD card from the phone, downloading the photo to the laptop*, sending the photo via email to my pc, and adding the arrow with Paint. The arrow alone took me about 20 minutes. It may have taken me a long time and a circuitous route to put that picture on this post, but, by golly, I DID IT! Whew!

Note:  Darn it! After all that the picture is blurry. The little icon below the arrow is “Screen Rotation.”

*The PC doesn’t have that little slot to use an SD card.

1 comment:

jay said...

OMG! That had me rolling!!